Sunday, September 02, 2007

Cyclecide: Apocalyptic Circus

Rather than bringing to mind a utopian, alternative energy reality, Cyclecide's bicycle circus at Bumbershoot inspired in me post-apocalyptic visions of Bartertown or Piers Anthony's Battle Circle series. Not that that's a bad thing. Those worlds have long been a part of my creative conscious.

Cyclecide creates familiar carnival rides in human powered form. Merry-go-round. Ferris wheel. Octopus-centerfuge. Very cool and very fun. I went on the merry-go-round but thought I might tax the structural integrity of the other rides.

I missed their scheduled performance but was impressed with the double decker and stunt bikes. Check out their bicycle-bullfight with live music. I love to see this kind of alternative energy becomes art becomes entertainment. Way to go guys. And awesome Mad Max outfits - even if that's how you normally dress.

No comments: